The Hawaii Institute of Pacific Agriculture (HIP Ag) provides agriculture and nutrition education to K-20 students, local farmers, and the community, primarily in the North Kohala region. Established in 2008, HIP Ag’s mission is to practice and teach regenerative agriculture to increase food system resilience, foster community health, and build the next generation of Hawaii farmers.
Our headquarters is a 6-acre farm that cultivates a diverse collection of Polynesian crops, market garden vegetables, and orchard fruits and provides sustainable agriculture courses, youth programming, community workshops and events to the public.
Over the last five years our 501(c)3 nonprofit organization has experienced tremendous growth, emerging as a leader in agricultural and educational efforts statewide. We are seeking an experienced Administrative and Operations Assistant to help us continue this momentum and build long term sustainability.
The Administrative and Operations Assistant is a member of the leadership team, reporting to the Co-Executive Directors and supporting all administrative, program and fundraising logistics. This is a dynamic role that works closely with team leaders to facilitate increased financial sustainability, programmatic impact and organizational health. Must be highly organized but also flexible, adaptable, and have grit.
Primary responsibilities include maintaining institute email, grant and donor management, staff meeting notes, organizing and managing documents, program data tracking, co-coordinating programs and donor events, maintaining organizational compliances, administering and collecting surveys, researching funding opportunities, preparing budgets and proposals, managing timelines and deliverables, and analyzing financial data.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Administrative and Operations Support (50%)
- Provide administrative support for team meetings, coordinate agendas and materials, maintain notes and action item lists. Manage admin email account
- Track metrics, from pre and post evaluations
- Work collaboratively with executive team to prepare annual report
- Manage Master Calendar of programs and activities, including field trips and events, farmer training & farmer apprenticeship
- Oversee all programs, coordination, administration, promotion, and fieldwork.
- Action planning follow through based on strategic plan of organization
- Oversee Volunteer coordination
- Use Asana for prioritizing and tracking tasks
- Organize Google docs accordingly
- General event support
- Promote and schedule guest presenters for farmer training & farmer apprenticeship + general management as needed
- Upload videos to HIP Ag’s YouTube channel and promote
- Field Trip prep and packets, including waivers, evals, supplies, activities instructions, and preparation
- Track program timelines, metrics and deliverables
- Oversee invoicing, accounting, reporting and other administrative functions to ensure successful execution of grant programs
- Manage contracts, registrations, compliance and other documentation
- Track compliance with IRS regulations and foundation requirements
- Maintain donor databases (including gift tracking and fundraising reports)
- Respond to grant data requests and inquiries from internal and external audiences, including preparation of data analysis and generation of reports
- Support Directors in development and care of foundation relationships
- Work with program team to create and implement evaluation tools, provide ongoing assessment and feedback for grant programs
- Tracking thank yous and acknowledgement to foundations
- Solicit Letter of Support from partners
- Donor engagement events & processes
Grant Writing & Fundraising (40%)
- Grant writing; improving master narrative, submitting grants and reports, monitoring and maintaining deadlines.
- Participate in strategic planning, development and implementation of annual fund campaign in collaboration with Directors, staff and board members
- Implement a development calendar for donor campaigns
- Support Directors in cultivating major donor relationships
- Maintain individual donor records and correspondence
- Organize annual donor acknowledgements and thank you cards
- Assist in planning and implementation of Farm to Table fundraising dinners
- Act as an ambassador for HIP Ag
- Attend and table at community events
- Network and build partnerships with similar organizations
- Advertise programs and donor campaigns
- Facebook, instagram + insta-stories, twitter, tumblr (if candidate possesses ability)
- Creating organizational updates on programs for funders, community
- Communicate, organize, and project manager of website edits, including calendar of activities
- Write articles for local newspapers regarding program outcomes, updates, and notifications
- Newsletters (in Flodesk)
- Support HIP Staff in gathering and archiving stories of organizational impact, including photos, videos and media for socials, website, and outreach materials.
- Support with communications with partner organizations, funders, and team
- Advertise programs and donor campaigns
Demonstrable Skills and Capacity
- Three years of experience working in a mission-driven organization including working with program staff and senior leaders
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in office management and administration
- Strong Apple computer skills, including proficiency in Google Suite (Drive, Calendars, Docs, Sheets, Slides), Adobe, project management platforms, as well as the ability to learn to use new programs as needed
- Experience with database systems, spreadsheets, and data visualization
- Strong logic, analytical and problem solving abilities with solid understanding of data management, the ability to gather and synthesize information
- Excellent time management skills, including ability to multitask and prioritize work
- Detail-oriented and highly organized with strong problem solving skills
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable in workflow, schedule, and communications
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in diverse communities
- Strong written language skills, including ability to create, compose, and edit
- Highly organized, tidy, and detail oriented
- Commitment to sustainability, intersectional environmentalism, and growing a healthier future for Hawaiʻi
- Proactive and able to work independently and in a collaborative work environment
- Must have own mobile phone for communications
- Must have reliable access to personal vehicle/transportation for errands (mileage reimbursement provided)
- 3 years of Hawaiʻi-based work experience and 3 Hawaiʻi-based professional references
- Able to lift up to 25 pounds
- College degree preferred
Familiarity with sustainable agriculture and food justice projects is a plus.
TERMS & COMPENSATION
Part Time position begins November 2023, Monday - Friday, with a flexible schedule created between directors and employee. Occasional evening and weekend work is required. Pay starts at $25-$28 per hour (based on experience) with 14-25 hours/week. Work location is mostly remote and 1 day a week at HIP Ag headquarters and as needed for special events.
This will start as a part-time position, which can be from .4-.6 FTE (14-24 hours per week) depending on the successful candidate’s availability. We are open to candidates who would be interested in a long-term/full-time opportunity to work with HIP Ag.
Benefits: HMSA Health care included with .5+ FTE, Monthly Paid Time Off accrual (after 3 months), fresh produce,
How to Apply: Please email cover letter and resume with three references to firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com